Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The very last minute cake




This was made for a small celebration at my parent-in-law's house a few weeks ago. It was a celebration for 3 people, my youngest, her aunty and her grandma. It was supposed to be an ice-cream cake but unfortunately the cake could not set in time !! I had to come out with something fast and this came about. I made this from scratch in 2 hrs, fortunately it came out alright. I was very stressed while the cake was baking :-p

The sponge I used is a very simple sponge which was taken from one Periplus book. Actually it is a victorian sponge recipe. This cake doesn't use any other fat except eggs. The texture is soft but on a slightly dry side. You can add about a tablespoon of oil or melted butter to make it a bit moist. I used my 8 inch tube pan (chiffon pan) for this.


Never-fail Sponge
Ingredients
3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
5 tbsp milk (original 3 tbsp water)
1 tsp vanilla paste/essence

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Place egg whites in a clean, dry bowl and beat till stiff peaks are form
3. Add sugar and beat until thick and glossy (remember not to overbeat the white)
4. Add egg yolks and beat well then gently fold in flour followed by the milk
5 Pour batter into greased and floured 8inch pan
6. Bake for 10 - 15 mins or until cake springs back when touched
7. Remove from tins and cool on a cake cooler
8. Once cool, decorate it to your liking


For my decoration, I used non-dairy whipped cream and mini m&ms .. Sprinkle the m&ms after your chilled the cake as the colour will bleed.
Happy trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment